I’m guessing a lot of people will be traveling or furiously cleaning their house today, so here’s a small pre-Thanksgiving LinkSwarm for the distracted:
Posts Tagged ‘Illegal Aliens’
Harping on a theme he’s harped on before, Mickey Kaus dinged Ted Cruz (again) for not opposing illegal alien amnesty with the single-minded focus Kaus thinks he should. (“You didn’t clap loud enough!
Tinkerbell is dead!Amnesty is Alive!”) This criticism is misguided:
- Mickey Kaus is a Democrat and an ObamaCare supporter, albeit an entirely more reasonable example of each than usually found, as well as an amnesty opponent. Thus dinging Ted Cruz for fighting ObamaCare rather than amnesty is basically saying “A Republican senator is fighting hard against a program I support but not fighting hard enough against a program I oppose.”
- Ted Cruz has long been a fervent opponent of both ObamaCare and illegal alien amnesty, but has always been more fervently against ObamaCare, proclaiming that we should “repeal every syllable of every word of Obamacare” as one of his stock talking points from the very beginning of his campaign.
- Those doubting Cruz’s opposition to amnesty should take another look at what he said about it back when I interviewed him in 2011:
- Cruz fought and voted against amnesty when it was before the Senate, but now it’s before the House. Given that whole “bicameral legislature” idea, the issue is beyond Cruz’s legislative purvey.
- While I won’t go so far as to declare amnesty dead (as some have), if only because the GOP establishment seems to have a limitless appetite for suicidal compromise, its chances this legislative session do look slim, and all that was accomplished without Cruz taking the leading role against it.
Given all that, Kaus continuing to harp on Cruz’s appears to be of an idee fixe on Kaus’ part than real criticism.
Contact your senators here to tell them you oppose both the Gang of Eight and Corker-Hoeven illegal alien amnesty bills.
Something like this:
Dear Sen. Cornyn,
Not only do I oppose both the Gang of 8 and substitute Corker-Hoeven illegal alien amnesty bills, but I support a filibuster of any “amnesty first” illegal alien legislation, will withhold all financial
reportsupport from the national Republican Party committees if it passes, and will support primary challenges to any Republican who votes in favor of it.
And now the traditional Friday LinkSwarm on Friday!
Now would be a good time to call and email you Senator (and your Representative) to let them know you oppose the “Gang of 8″ illegal alien amnesty proposal currently being debated in the Senate, especially since it does less than nothing to secure the border, and makes hiring illegals more attractive than hiring Americans, since employers need not pay for their ObamaCare.
Now would also be a great time to contact anyone you know at the national Republican Party and inform them that you will not donate a dime to any national GOP committee if illegal alien amnesty passes.
Here’s Ted Cruz speaking against the amnesty proposal on the Senate floor:
And on Rush Limbaugh’s radio show:
Too much going on, so here’s a LinkSwarm to start your day:
For a shocking change of pace, the Friday LinkSwarm will be on Friday:
David Dewhurst seems to be getting desperate, as he’s trying to paint Cruz as a supporter of amnesty for illegal aliens.
It so happens that this is one of the subjects I covered in my interview with Ted Cruz last summer, so you can hear his answer for yourself:
So, which part of “I’m categorically opposed to Amnesty” was unclear?