Enjoy your complimentary Friday LinkSwarm, and be sure to tip your waitress!
Posts Tagged ‘Israel’
Time for another LinkSwarm, sweeping up all the news that was happening while I was churning out Texas primary news:
“The exchanges are based on layers upon layers of bad software, run by shady characters,” he writes. “The Bitcoin masses, judging by their behavior on forums, have no actual interest in science, technology or even objective reality when it interferes with their market position. They believe that holding a Bitcoin somehow makes them an active participant in a bold new future, even as they passively get fleeced in the bolder current present.”
Lots of news from around the world, where the global economy is handing like a Kia that’s just started losing traction on an icy hill:
Every time I hear someone say that feminism is about validating every choice a woman makes I have to fight back vomit.
Do people really think that a stay at home mom is really on equal footing with a woman who works and takes care of herself? There’s no way those two things are the same. It’s hard for me to believe it’s not just verbally placating these people so they don’t get in trouble with the mommy bloggers.
Having kids and getting married are considered life milestones. We have baby showers and wedding parties as if it’s a huge accomplishment and cause for celebration to be able to get knocked up or find someone to walk down the aisle with. These aren’t accomplishments, they are actually super easy tasks, literally anyone can do them. They are the most common thing, ever, in the history of the world. They are, by definition, average.
Amy Glass, come down and collect your coveted Trolly! (Hat tip: Instapundit.)
Former Israeli General and Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has died at age 85 after being in a coma since 2006.
While Sharon was a hugely important and influential political figure, I want to highlight his brilliance as a general. Israel’s swift and sure destruction of numerically superior Egyptian forces in the Sinai (with a total area significantly larger than Israel itself) under the leadership of Sharon, Israel Tal and Avraham Yoffe in a mere four days in 1967 are a big reason it’s called the Six Day War.
Here’s a History Channel show on The Six day War, complete with Machinima recreations of the battles.
A lazy LinkSwarm for the last Friday of the year:
Obama’s call for attacking Syria is meeting such heavy opposition that he already has a domestic quagmire on his hands getting it approved. Here’s a mini-roundup of Syria news:
Time for another LinkSwarm!
Once again the irreligious, bracing Pat Condell tackles another PC shibboleth, namely our giving Palestinian barbarism a free pass. Why? “Because we’re racists.”
Too broad a brush? Well, it is a shame that 90% of Palestinians give the other 10% a bad name…
This week we’ll do it Thursday rather than Friday:
The degrees of broke-ness varies: from completely and utterly broke, like Greece or Italy; to wobbly, like the U.K., France, the U.S., or Japan; to getting poorer like Germany. But all of them are going to have to raise the percentage of gross domestic product they collect in tax — and many of them very significantly.
The U.S. deficit is more than 7% of GDP. The U.K.’s deficit is just as high. There is very little sign that spending cuts to close gaps of that magnitude are on the cards, nor is there any sign that growth will be sufficiently strong to make up the difference — certainly not in countries like the U.K. or Japan.
Huge sums of additional revenue will have to be raised.
Willie Sutton once famously remarked that he robbed banks because “that’s where the money is.”
In the same way, governments will look to raise more tax from companies because that’s where the money is.
Or they could, you know, actually cut spending…