Thanks to an Instalanch (with assists from Ace of Spades and Moe Lane, among others), my piece on Elizabeth Moon and WisCon has proven extraordinarily popular, so I’ve been spending a fair amount of attention on that. (And numerous liberal science fiction professionals have been writing in to thank me for it, as the shrill, exclusionary rhetoric and tactics of the FailFandom crowd have alienated vast swathes of the field.) But that’s not the only news from the World of Jihad this week, so here’s a roundup of a few other notable developments:
- The convert-to-Jihadism that threatened the lives of South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone over the Mohammed episodes is going to prison:
A 20-year old guy named Zachary Adam Chesser pled guilty on Wednesday to three federal charges: communicating threats against South Park’s writers, soliciting violent jihadists to desensitize law enforcement, and attempting to provide material support to Al-Shabaab, an organization designated by the US as a terrorist group….He faces a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison when sentenced on February 25, 2011. He was born Jewish, and converted in his teens to an extremist strain of Islam, adopting the name Abu Talhah al-Amrikee….Chesser admitted that he promoted online what he called “Open Source Jihad,” where he would direct jihadists through his online forums to information on the Internet that they could use to elude capture and death while maintaining relevance and striking capability.
- London borough turning into an Islamic republic (the Telegraph‘s phrasing, not mine). Lutfur Rahman, the newly-elected Mayor of Tower Hamlets, has “close links [with] a Muslim supremacist body, the Islamic Forum of Europe (IFE) – which believes, in its own words, in transforming the ‘very infrastructure of society, its institutions, its culture, its political order and its creed… from ignorance to Islam.’”
- Speaking of UK jihadists, Pregnant Asiyah Khan of Bradford, who burned to death, may have been the victim of an honor killing.
- Benjamin Kerstein points out the obvious: the Middle East Peace Process is a joke.
- If you’re wondering what “Islamic moderates” look like, take a look at this essay by Mohamed El-Moctar El-Shinqiti, which, in diagnosing the cure for Arab decline, calls for a guarantee of the rights of non-Muslims, but rejects a wholly secular state saying that “non-Muslim minorities and non-practicing Muslims need to accept the fact that Islamic law is too rich and too important to be discarded.” Mr. El-Shinqiti’s vision of a rule based on moderate Islamism would be a distinct improvement in countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia, but a vast step backwards in any Western society based on individual rights.
(Hat tips: Instapundit, JihadWatch, Michael Totten, MEMRI.)
Tags: Abu Talhah al-Amrikee, Asiyah Khan, Benjamin Kerstein, Elizabeth Moon, honor killing, Islam, Islamic Forum of Europe, Islamist, Jihad, Lutfur Rahman, Matt Stone, Open Source Jihad, Radical Islam, South Park, Trey Parker, Zachary Adam Chesser